You’ve got to love the lull. It’s that peaceful time between Christmas and New Year’s when everything slows down at work, including phone calls, emails, and urgent requests.
You should slow down, too. Sleep in. Go out to breakfast. Do a puzzle while watching a Christmas movie and sipping hot chocolate.
But consider also setting aside just a few hours to take a quick inventory of what you have in self storage. Doing so will allow you to start the New Year organized and ready to grow.
Holiday Inventory Management Tips
• Just like Santa, you’ll want to make a list of everything that you have in self storage. Ideally, you already have a system in place for managing your entire inventory. If not, now is the time to get one.
• Upgrade your packing materials, if necessary. Are all of your boxes still in good condition? Is everything clearly labeled? Getting the details right now will make the rest of the year go more smoothly.
• Pack your storage unit properly. Basically, that just means leaving a path down the center so that you can easily access any item you may need.
• Create a map. We all know that time is money. That’s why you want to be able to quickly find any item you may need. Take a moment to create a quick map and keep a copy of it in your storage unit.
• Right-size your storage. One of the big advantages of self storage is that you never need to pay for space that you don’t use—and more space is always available. If your unit is either too cramped or too big, take a couple of hours and switch to a more appropriately sized unit.