Downsizing is a popular subject. From renters looking to make the most of small apartments to baby boomers looking to de-stress by shedding that unneeded space, there are several reasons you might be looking to downsize. The hard part is getting started.
We’re always looking for ways to help you stay organized and stress-free, so we rounded up the top 3 tips to help downsize the task of downsizing (forgive the pun) so you can spend less time packing boxes and more time enjoying life.
1. Go Beyond ”Keep, Sell, Trash”
You’ve heard to start out with a pile of items to keep, items to sell/donate, and items to throw away. This is excellent advice, but no one tells you what to do when the keep pile gets out of hand and you’re struggling to part with anything. Here’s how to shrink that keep pile without sacrificing your favorite keepsakes.
- Technology is Your Friend: Technology and staying clutter-free go hand in hand. Scan documents to a secure external hard drive to get rid of that unsightly file cabinet. Trash the big stack of home movies by transferring those over to space-saving DVD’s or upload them online (not like you have a VHS player handy anyway!).
- Upcycle: If you’ve visited Pinterest, you know that upcycling is huge. Try creating a quilt out of old clothes or painting that old table to give it new life. Ideas are endless with a little creativity.
- No Garage Sale, No Problem: Sometimes you want to sell something but you don’t want to go through the trouble of setting up a sale. Thankfully there are tons of resources—from Facebook Marketplace to apps like LetGo that help connect your stuff with local buyers, without wasting a weekend in a hot garage. Give them a shot!
2. Consider Your New Space & Lifestyle
It’s easy to get caught up in the memories of every last knick knack when you’re sorting through your home, but keep in mind the new space and lifestyle you’d like to achieve. For many, downsizing is about having less to maintain and more freedom to enjoy hobbies and traveling. If you’re having trouble letting go of a few items, consider whether you’ll be thinking about them when you finally make it to that beach vacation or hiking adventure you’ve always dreamed of.
3. Maximize Every Type of Storage
Downsizers need to be on top of creative ways to make the most of their spaces. Even if you convert the back of your kitchen cabinets to lid holders or have drop down racks in your garage, chances are you’ll still have some items cluttering up your living space, which can lead to unnecessary stress and maybe even a stubbed toe.
Once you’ve made the most of your space at home, you might consider how a storage unit can help with downsizing. It’s an affordable solution to get exactly the amount of extra storage space you need to downsize without sacrificing memories or your living space.
Get to Living Simpler
Stop putting it off, get to downsizing today. Whether you are a renter looking for more space or a baby boomer looking to downsize, If you follow these tips you’ll be through the process quickly and onto achieving your dreams, whatever they may be.