Here's a helpful list of 5 tips to make the most of your storage unit and increase your efficiency.
- Pack Vertically: If you plan to store any large furniture, such as couches, dressers, or even bedframes, you’ll want to ensure that these items are utilizing primarily vertical space. Standing these bulky items on end helps to maximize less-used vertical space and allows you to fit more inside.
- Line the Walls: Storing your possessions along the outer walls first will be a huge benefit to you when you find your storage unit filling up. Leave aisles between different rows of items so that you’ll still be able to access everything. The last thing you want is to have to rummage through a full storage unit to find a box hidden in the back somewhere!
- Install Shelving: You can bring metal shelving to help organize your storage unit and help to again make the most of the less-used vertical space. If you try to stack too many boxes on top of each other, the bottom ones will crush and crumple under the weight. Shelving allows you to stack boxes safely and take advantage of the height of your storage unit.
- Think Ahead: Lastly, store your stuff thoughtfully to save yourself a headache in the future. Be sure to put the most frequently used items near the front of your storage unit for your own convenience. This will allow you to quickly access the items you need without shuffling through to the back corner of your storage unit.
- Use mattress and sofa slips and cover wooden furniture to keep items clean and dust-free.
Packing Tip: Be sure to properly wrap your furniture and items before you store them, to prevent dust from settling on your belongings.
These quick, effective tips for maximizing your storage space will help you fit your items into your storage unit, saving you time and money. And you’ll enjoy the space freed up in your home or office. Worried about having enough packing supplies to support your move? We sell moving and packing supplies
at all StorageMart locations.