Moving to Calgary is a great idea, at least according to The Economist, which ranked it the fifth-most livable city in the world in its most recent Global Livability Report.
The report, which ranks 140 cities worldwide, gave the city perfect marks for stability, healthcare and education. It also got high marks for infrastructure.
As nice as it is to live in Calgary, the reality is that it’s never all that fun to move. But there is one decision that can make everything go much more smoothly—hiring the right moving company.
Questions to Ask Calgary Moving Companies
There is a vast range in the quality of moving companies. Some are basically call centers that subcontract the work out to whomever they can find. But the really good companies take control of the process, paying attention to every detail along the way.
Here are a few questions to ask to make sure you’re hiring a quality company:
• How long have you been in business?
• Do you do the work yourself or subcontract it out?
• Will you come to my house first and provide an in-home estimate?
• Can you provide me with references?
• What kind of packing supplies do you offer?
• Will you disassemble and reassemble furniture?
• What steps do you take to avoid scuffing walls or floors?
• How many people will be handling the move?
Consider Reputable Sources
The internet can be an extremely helpful resource. But it can also offer a bunch of biased reviews.
Sometimes, it helps to do a little good old-fashioned asking around. Ask the Realtor who helped you find your home for moving company suggestions, check in with friends who have recently moved, and take a minute to call your local better business bureau.
Calgary Moving Companies to Get You Started
1. You Move Me Calgary: This company will obviously pack, protect, and move your belongings, but they’ll also bring you coffee on the morning of your big move.
2. Alberta Pro Movers: In business for 31 years, this company promises to take special care not to scuff your walls, door frames or floors. Look for mid-month special pricing.
3. Super Powers Calgary: This company “protects Calgarians from the stressful evils of moving” and has been doing so for more than 20 years. We like the sound of that.
Self Storage Near Calgary
Moving is hard, but it doesn’t have to be awful. One thing you don’t need? To stress over what to do with your stuff in between the time you sell your old house and move into your new house.
At StorageMart, you can rent a unit as small as 25 square feet or so—or up to the size of a garage. Our self storage units can be rented on a month-by-month basis and are always clean and well lit. Need more info? Check out our storage unit guide or rent a unit online today.