> Self Storage
> Climate Controlled Storage
What is climate controlled storage and who should consider it as an option?If you've never rented a self storage unit before, you might think the only option to consider is what size unit you'll need. You’ll discover that size isn't everything when it comes to storage space. There are actually a number of options to consider when choosing a storage unit. One of the most common choices in storage is between a standard unit and a climate controlled unit.
What is Climate Controlled Storage?Simply put, climate controlled storage is heated during the winter months and kept cool in the summer so as to maintain a constant, moderate temperature level throughout the year. Why is this important? There are many items susceptible to damage due to prolonged exposure to changes in temperature. Climate controlled storage provides customers the peace of mind in knowing your storage unit won’t become too hot or too cold.
Climate controlled storage removes dust and foreign matter from the air and keeps your items cleaner and more fresh. You can also help prevent dust from settling on your furniture by using mattress and sofa covers, or laying blankets over items if you're storing for more than 4 months.
Who Should Consider Climate Controlled Storage?
Climate controlled storage is the ideal option for any self storage needs, but it’s more necessary for some items. These include:
- Furniture – Wooden furniture can dry out, shrink or even crack if it’s allowed to get too cold or swell and warp in hot temperatures. Upholstered furniture is prone to mold and mildew if it’s kept in hot temperatures over a long period of time.
- Electronics – Everyone loves their gadgets. If you ever have to store any of your electronics, climate controlled storage will help keep those delicate items from extremes in temperature. This includes all household appliances as well.
- Art – Paintings, drawings and photographs are particularly prone to damage from exposure to excessively hot, dry, cold or moist air. Stamps, sports cards and comic book collections are also items that should be kept in climate controlled storage.
- Musical Instruments – Fine music is best made with well-maintained instruments. Climate controlled storage will help prevent warping, cracking and rot of your instruments.
- Documents – Archived records and documents are often irreplaceable. One of the greatest enemies of stored paper is its atmosphere. Too much moisture causes rot. Too little moisture causes printing to fade. Stored records are best kept in areas where a constant, moderate atmosphere can be maintained.
- Textiles – Clothing and bedding are among the most commonly stored items. Self storage makes it easy to free up space in your home by allowing for seasonal clothing, blankets and quilts to be rotated in and out as needed. Ensure those items are not exposed to extreme temperature change by renting climate controlled storage.
Traditional storage will still work for many self storage needs, but climate controlled storage has become an increasingly more popular and common option in the industry. These units can be at a premium at many storage locations, so be sure to reserve your climate controlled storage unit online today to ensure it’s available when you need it.