A garage should be a place to keep clean and stay organized, not an area that is cluttered and unable to fit your vehicles. Organizing a garage may be a daunting task, but with the right attitude and action plan, it can be accomplished. It doesn’t have to be an overwhelming chore. Get organizing and enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing exactly where everything is.
Garage Makeover Plan
We can help you approach this task, by providing you with a step-by-step list to make things easier.
- Assess the space and create a plan – Take inventory of what you have in your garage, decide how you want to organize it.
- Clean out your garage – Start by cleaning out the entire garage and putting items in a keep, toss, and donate pile. Now is the time to let go of items you haven’t used in years.
- Sort items into categories – Place items that are similar into groups such as gardening supplies or sporting goods. Doing so keeps the process organized and allows everything to be easily sorted.
- Invest in storage solutions – Shelves with bins are great for storing smaller items while larger objects can be hung on walls using hooks and racks. If you have large items like kayaks, a quad, or other seasonal toys you can’t fit in the garage, consider a self-storage unit. This will keep those large items out of sight, while remaining easily accessible.
- Label everything clearly – Labeling each box or bin will help you remember where items belong and make it easier to find them later.
- Make use of versatile space – Utilize wall space by installing shelves and pegboards which allows you to efficiently organize items all the way to the ceiling if needed.
- Keep only necessary items – If something is not being used regularly then consider putting it in a toss and donate pile as this will free up additional space.
- Have a designated spot for everything – Give everything a home and make sure the item always goes back to its home after use to keep a healthy garage storage system.
Self Storage for Garages
Hopefully, these tips will help with organizing your garage and keeping it free of clutter. If you find that you still lack space and need somewhere to store your larger or extra items, consider renting a self storage unit. At StorageMart and Manhattan Mini Storage you can rent affordable units with no long-term contracts. Try out our Self Storage Calculator and rent online today!