When you’re short on space, every square foot counts.
Empty walls, unused corners, disorganized cabinets, and wasted space are all part of the problem. But, with just a little bit of effort, those same areas can become part of the solution.
Keep reading for tips, tricks, and products to make the most of your home, no matter how small it is.
Small Apartment Space Ideas
- Let your jewelry shine. Use a corkboard like this one by Bob Vila to display your jewelry. That will free up valuable drawer space elsewhere, while also making it easier for you to choose your look each day. Use the same concept to store hair accessories, ballcaps, belts, scarves, or ties.
- Go vertical. Shelves and hooks allow you to capitalize on space that would otherwise be wasted. An overlooked kitchen wall can easily—and with minimal expense—be transformed into a space to store everything from mugs to ladles.
- Stick your spices. These magnetic storage tins allow you to store spices right on your fridge.
- Organize underneath your sink. Why is it that this is always one of messiest spaces in a house? Borrow a hack from Martha Stewart and use a tension rod to clean up your under-sink storage.
- Choose furniture that does double duty. Make sure your end tables and coffee table have drawers or shelves. Choose an ottoman that has storage inside. Consider using a bench with storage instead of conventional dining chairs. Here are a few pieces that could work for your space.
- Use the space under your bed. Bed risers like these allow enough room to stack plastic storage bins—or even suitcases—underneath your bed.
- Put doors to work. Use the backs of your closet, pantry, bedroom, and bathroom doors to store everything from crafting supplies to cans of soup. This Elfa storage system from The Container Store does the trick, as does the simple and classic over-the-door shoe organizer. A shoe organizer can also be used for cleaning supplies, make-up, toys, or anything else that you need to get out of the way.
Smart Apartment Ideas and StorageMart
Sometimes, the smartest storage solution of all is to simply get more space. At StorageMart, you’ll find clean, affordable, and well lit storage units that can be rented on a month-to-month basis. Need more info? Check out our storage unit guide or rent a unit online today.