Whether or not we realize it, we’re all influenced by our surroundings. Bright and cheery surroundings can make us feel … well … bright and cheery.
What’s more, research has proven that clutter can make us feel anxious and distracted. Clean and organized surroundings, meanwhile, can be the backdrop that allows us to work creatively and efficiently.
Those are just a few of the reasons why an office renovation may be in order. You might also need to renovate to keep pace with technology or to meet other evolving needs of your business.
With all that said, renovations can be a major hassle. Here are a few strategies to make things go as smoothly as possible.
Office Renovation Checklist
• Communicate your vision to your employees. Are you renovating in order to upgrade technology, get more space, or to improve the look and feel of your workplace? Employees are more likely to handle the stress of a move if they know what the end goal is—and how it will affect them.
• Make temporary quarters as comfortable as possible. One thing we all know about renovations is that they inevitably take longer than you think. Make sure your temporary quarters have adequate lighting, are as clutter-free as possible, and give each employee enough space to work. You might also consider allowing more employees to work from home during this time period.
• Make your move during a slow period. Maybe that’s during the holidays—or during the summer when many people take vacations.
• Prioritize the work done by the IT department. You can go without a microwave for a few days. You can even go without mail. But most businesses absolutely can’t go without working computers. Make sure your IT department has the resources it needs to work quickly.
• Clear out clutter. Use the opportunity to get rid of files, boxes, and other items that you no longer need.
• Use self storage as needed. Doing so can save money and make your renovation go more smoothly.
Planning an Office Renovation and StorageMart
Self storage units can provide the additional space you need to make your renovation go as smoothly as possible. At StorageMart, we offer self storage units that are clean, well-lit, climate-controlled (if you need it), and available on a month-to-month basis. Contact us to rent a unit online today.