The best advice for moving, whether across town or the country is to have a good very detailed plan. Moving day is not a day to wing it, though staying flexible will keep your blood pressure lower. Since your moving company is so important, choose carefully; the rest of your plan will be moot unless your movers are spot on.
Can you be the mover?
If you are moving across town, don’t have much to move, and have access to quality trucks and many strong friends who will work for pizza, you might want to consider moving yourself. If you have plenty of time to move out of your old place and into your new place, you could make several trips. You can rent dollies, blankets and trucks. Sometimes this is a good choice. You might want to look into self storage in Edmontonso you can start boxing up your belongings ahead of time.
How to find the right moving company
You need to ask the right questions or you won’t get the right answers. Movers are responsible for most of what you own so make sure to ask them:
1. how long they’ve been in business. The more years, the more experience and credibility.
2. for all their contact information, including physical address, phone numbers, and email address.
3. for three recent references – and call them! Even though you’re likely to hear positive remarks, this will provide an opportunity to benefit from someone else’s experience.
4. if they are a member of the Better Business Bureau. Find out their rating and call to see if there have been any complaints. You can learn a lot about a company by seeing how it handles problems, which can happen to good companies too.
5. for everything in writing. Don’t sign anything you don’t understand.
Meet your mover…in person
After you choose several companies, set up appointments so they can come to your house and do an in-home estimate. If they won’t come to your house to do an in-home estimate, move on and find another company. Find out up front if the company will be doing the move themselves, or if they will be sub-contracting the job to another company. If they won’t be moving you, choose another company. If possible, visit their office and make sure that the company is who they say they are. That’s good for advice for selecting self storage Edmonton sites as well.
Pay attention to the paperwork!
After receiving your written estimates, ask questions about the difference in pricing since it may have to do with what services one company provides that another doesn’t, the amount of insurance included, and/or valuation of your belongings. Never hire a mover who gives you a quote based on cubic feet. Never, ever sign blank paperwork, or paperwork that hasn’t been fully explained. If you’re not sure what you should expect from a mover, read this article.
Get started today
Here’s a list of the highest-rated movers in Edmonton, according to Yelp. Consider it the seeds for your next successful move.
Riteway Moving & Services
Eager Beaver Moving
QHP Moving and Storage
Highland Moving & Storage
Stallion Van Lines