Canada Day is here! While the United States has its Independence Day on the 4th, today marks Canada’s birthday celebration. Both countries tend to celebrate in much the same way: by exploding beautiful multicolored rockets in the sky for all to see! Anyway, without further ado, let’s get the skinny on Canada Day:
- This Canada Day marks Canada’s 147th “birthday” after the passing of the Constitution Act, 1867.
- Canadians the world over celebrate this day much the same way as Americans celebrate Independence Day, but there’s not one traditional method or set of activities. It tends to be very individualistic and region-centric, much like the rest of Canada.
- Ceremonies are even held to welcome newly-declared Canadian citizens
- In some places, like Detroit, Michigan, and Buffalo, New York, Americans and Canadians will unite around this time of year to celebrate each of our nations’ birthdays collectively, launching fireworks and holding massive parties for hundreds of thousands of festive participants.
I’d be remiss if I didn’t also mention today’s other holiday: Moving Day! It’s one holiday that is especially meaningful here at StorageMart because moving and storage is what we’re all about. Let’s delve into a brief overview of this most auspicious of all the storage- and moving-related holidays:
- Moving Day originated as a measure to prevent tenants from being kicked out while the ground was still covered in snow from the winter
- Fixed leases would originally end on May 1st, but the date was pushed back two months to July 1st for several reasons, such as permitting primary school kids to finish a full year at that particular school and allowing for better weather in July. Also, since Moving Day now shares the Canada Day holiday, workers do not have to lose a portion of their paychecks by moving their stuff on a regular workday.
- Commercial moving companies see enormous boosts in revenue at this time and can often be booked more than six months in advance. Moving Day can be chaotic!
So, feel free to join in the holiday spirit! Canadian or American, it’s a fantastic and festive time to be happy for the past and hopeful for the future. Everyone here at StorageMart would like to once again warmly wish our Canadian friends, family, and colleagues a happy and fun Canada Day! Or, in the case of Moving Day, a productive and efficient holiday.