Choosing a senior living community is a huge decision. You’re not just choosing a home; you’re also choosing a lifestyle and a new set of friends and neighbors.
That’s why it’s so important to make a thoughtful, informed decision.
Hobbies for Seniors
One of the nicest features of today’s best senior living communities is the range of amenities, opportunities, and services offered.
You’ll find exercise classes, cafes, beauty shops, crafting studios, computer rooms, pools, theaters, pubs, game rooms, gardens, chapels, and more.
Questions to Ask Senior Living Communities
Here are the questions you’ll want to ask before making any final decisions about your big move:
• Who are your residents? What is the male to female ratio? How many couples versus single people are there? What’s the average age of the residents?
• What kind of transportation is offered? What’s the maximum distance it will take you? Is it limited to certain days or hours?
• What services are offered, and which will cost extra? Are things like laundry and housekeeping included in your contract or will you have to pay for them yourself?
• What are the options if you need extra help? Can you hire your own aide, or will you have to use one provided by your community?
• How does dining work? What types of foods and accommodations are provided?
• What activities are provided?
• Is there an entrance fee? If so, how does it work?
• What happens if I outlive my financial resources?
• What kind of security is offered?
• What educational opportunities and/or outings are offered?
Communities for Seniors and StorageMart
One of the disadvantages of senior living communities is the lack of storage space compared to homes with basements, attics, extra bedrooms, and garages. There’s typically no room to store things like seasonal decorations, items that you may be saving for future generations, and off-season clothing.
There is, however, an easy fix. At StorageMart, you can rent a unit as small as 25 square feet and up to the size of a garage. We offer affordable self storage units that can be rented on a month-by-month basis that are always clean and well lit. Need more info? Check out our storage unit guide or rent a unit online today.