So, you’ve decided to take the plunge and move in with your significant other. Congrats! Sharing a living space with your partner can be a wonderful experience. But it can also be a bit of a challenge, especially when it comes to figuring out how to share (and store) all your belongings.
Below are a few suggestions for making the transition to living together as smooth as possible.
Couples Cohabitation Tips
- Talk about your expectations: Discuss how you will handle finances, divide up chores, and handle alone time. Setting clear boundaries from the start will make the transition much smoother and will help avoid arguments down the road.
- Make a list of duplicate household items: Decide who will bring what from each of your previous homes/apartments so that you don’t end up with two of everything. The usual culprits are toasters, microwaves, fridges, couches, and TVs. This will help save space in your new home. And if you need extra space for all the duplicate items, consider renting a self storage unit.
- Discuss your different living styles: One person may be a neat freak while the other is more laid back and used to being messy. It’s important to talk about these differences and come to an agreement on how to best keep your shared space clean and organized.
- Be prepared for less alone time: When you live together, there’s less opportunity for alone time. If you’re someone who values their alone time, make sure to schedule some regular “me” time to do things you enjoy solo. Treat yourself!
- Don’t forget the little things: From stocking the fridge with your partners favorite snacks to learning their love language, paying attention to the small details will go a long way in making your new home feel like a welcoming and comfortable place for both of you.
- Patience: Most importantly, be patient with your partner and remember that it takes time to adjust to living together. There will be bumps along the way, but if you’re both committed, you’ll get through it together.
Self Storage for Couples
Duplicate items, seasonal clothing or shoes that don’t fit in the closet, and important family heirlooms are just a few examples of why couples living together may need a self storage unit. With StorageMart and Manhattan Mini Storage we offer clean, well-lit units that are available to rent monthly with no long-term contracts. Try out our Self Storage Calculator and rent online today!