Your little darling is the light of your life. But she’s also crawling all over the house—and getting into everything.
If your plan is just to always keep an eye on her, your plan is flawed. Because there will always be those moments, however infrequent, that your baby escapes your attention—even if only for a few seconds.
And that’s exactly why you need to baby proof the most dangerous room in the house—your kitchen.
How to Baby Proof Kitchen Drawers and Cabinets
The first and most obvious step is to put childproof latches on cabinet doors and drawers, but that is just a start. Below are more steps you can take to make your kitchen safer for your baby in just one afternoon.
• To have a truly safe kitchen, that means assuming your child will eventually figure out how to open the latches. That’s why all dangerous chemicals should be kept in a higher cabinet out of reach. Even better, you could consider switching to non-hazardous chemicals like vinegar and mineral oil instead of bleach and ammonia.
• You know to keep knives out of reach, but you should keep sharp objects like scissors and graters out of reach as well.
• Be careful where you place anything that is a choking or suffocation hazard, including plastic bags, balloons, and other small objects. Keeping cabinets locked is the best way to baby proof kitchen drawers.
• Consider your cooktop to be one of the very most dangerous places in your house. Never leave your baby unattended in the kitchen, of course, but it’s also a good idea to place pans on the backburners, with handles pointing toward the back of the stove. While you’re at it, install knob covers on your cooktop knobs so that your child can’t turn them on.
• Move electrical appliances to where your child can’t reach them, including coffee makers, blenders, etc. Pay special attention to hanging cords that could fall when tugged.
• Keep glassware and china out of your child’s reach as well by locking cabinets and ensuring your child can’t climb up to reach them.
Using StorageMart as a Baby Proofing Solution
Babies change our lives in amazing ways, but they also change our homes. Making sure the items stored in your kitchen are safe can become a challenge. Luckily, there is a simple solution that can be accomplished in one afternoon. Take the guesswork out of baby proofing your kitchen drawers and cabinets by using self storage units to store items that could pose a potential threat.
If you find yourself unsure about items that your child could access, consider self storage as a solution. At StorageMart, all of our units can be rented on a month-to-month basis. Need more information? Check out our storage unit guide or rent a unit online today.